Unsightly But Totally Treatable
What Causes Toenail Fungus?
Dermatophytes are the fungi most commonly responsible for causing this condition. They are specialized organisms that live off of keratin which is the main component of nails and skin. Everyone is at risk for infection because fungus is present everywhere in the environment.
Nail infection is caused by contact with dermatophytes. Common sources of infection include swimming pools, public showers, gyms and nail spas. Tight fitting shoes and nail trauma can also lead to infection. Genetic susceptibility, poor health and increasing age are also factors that increase the risk of nail infection.
You may suffer from nail fungus if you have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Discolored nails
- Yellow streaks under the nails
- Distorted or thickened nails
- Brittle, crumbly or ragged nails
- Nails separated from the underlying skin
- Buildup of debris (nail fragments, skin) under the nails
- White spots or streaks on the nail surface
Traditional treatment options include oral and topical drugs but no single treatment is effective in all patients and there are risks and benefits associated with each one. Traditional treatments such as nail trimming, topical medicine, oral medicine or nail removal have significant drawbacks. Nail trimming doesn’t treat the fungus. Topical medicines need to be applied for 12 months and have a low success rate. Oral medicines are taken for 3 months but can cause liver or kidney problems.
GenesisPlus laser treatment for toenail fungus is a quick, easy, safe and effective procedure that treats the fungus at the source.
- GenesisPlus is a Nd:YAG 1064 nm laser indicated for the temporary increase of clear nail in patients with onychomycosis, more commonly known as nail fungus. GenesisPlus provides a fast and effective way to completely clarify toenails; eliminating onychomycosis without the need for any drug therapy.GenesisPlus targets the fungus directly, as the laser gets to the source of the problem immediately. Tiny pulses of light from the GenesisPlus laser pass through the toenail to the fungus underneath. The fungus is irradiated without any damage to the surrounding nail or skin. Most people feel a slight warming sensation during the procedure. No pain medication is needed and most people find the treatment very easy to tolerate.“What has impressed the public about GenesisPlus is the safety, effectiveness and speed of treatments. In one 15 to 30 minute session I can treat a patient who has been suffering for years with unsightly, deformed and discolored toenails. There is no pain or downtime. My patients have been extremely pleased.”-
- Dr. Zoe Filyk Procedure Time: A single session takes between 25 and 30 minutes for 5-10 nails. Procedure times will vary, so please ask your doctor for more information.Number of Sessions: Most patients show improvement after one session. The required number of sessions will vary depending on how severely each nail is infected. Depending on how many toes are affected, Usually patients need about 3 treatments, but some need more if they have severe cases of toenail fungus. We can give you a better estimation after your free consultation with us. Before the Procedure: It is important to remove all nail polish and decorations the day before the procedure. During the Procedure: Most patients describe the procedure as being very comfortable. Some may experience a small hot pinch that resolves quickly.After the Procedure: Immediately following the procedure your nail may feel warm for a few minutes. The majority of patients can resume normal activities immediately. You won’t notice changes right after the treatment. However, when your nail grows out, the new nail growth will be clear. Toenails grow slowly – especially nails infected with fungus – so it may take 6-12 months for your toenail to clear.While it is important to remove nail polish, decoration and jewelry prior to treatment, you can reapply nail polish 24 hours after treatment.Remember, reinfection with toenail fungus may be acquired anywhere from your environment, for example, in damp areas such as public swimming pools. You can always talk to us to understand how to prevent toenail fungus from reoccurring.