Acne, acne vulgaris, is the most common skin disorder in North America. Acne is the medical term for pimples which appear when pores get clogged with dead skin, oil, and bacteria build up. Bacterial overgrowth occurs within pores and hair follicles due to an overabundance of skin cells and sebum in the hair follicles.
Often difficult to treat effectively, Lasermedica helps you control and reduce Acne’s effects, and greatly reduces related scarring through a combination of laser treatment and medicine.
If you have a lot of acne, cysts, or nodules, a medicine that you can buy without a prescription may not work. If you want to control your acne, treat acne scars and see clearer skin, you should get your Family Physician to refer you to a Dermatologist, or to Lasermedica. Lasermedica is owned by Dr. Zoe Filyk -a Family Physician with an interest in skin conditions, and an expert level of knowledge in treatment options.
Acne treatments that you apply to the skin: Most acne treatments are applied to the skin. We call this a topical treatment. There are many topical acne treatments. Some topical treatments help kill the bacteria. Others work on reducing the oil. The topical medicine may contain a retinoid, prescription-strength benzoyl peroxide, antibiotic, or even salicylic acid. Lasermedica can help you determine what you need.
Acne treatment that works throughout the body: Medicine that works systemically (throughout the body) may be necessary when you have red, swollen types of acne. This type of treatment is usually necessary to treat acne cysts and nodules.
Other type of treatments are
Antibiotics (helps to kill bacteria and reduce inflammation).
- Birth control pills and other medicine that works on hormones (can be helpful for women).
- Isotretinoin(oral treatment).
Procedures that treat acne:
- Lasers and other light therapies: These devices reduce the p. acnes bacteria.
- Chemical peels: You cannot buy the chemical peels that doctors use. Doctors use chemical peels to treat 2 types of acne — blackheads and papules.
- Acne removal: Your doctor may perform a procedure called “drainage and extraction” to remove a large acne cyst. This procedure helps when the cyst does not respond to medicine. It also helps ease the pain and the chance that the cyst will leave a scar. If you absolutely have to get rid of a cyst quickly, your doctor may inject the cyst with medicine.
Acne Laser Treatments
Generally a combination of different laser treatments is best. Depending on the type of acne that is present, we decide on the type of laser treatment that is most effective for long-term results..
At Lasermedica, we use the industry’s most preferred laser – the Cutera Xeo platform- to shrink the sebaceous glands, to kill bacteria and control active acne.
There are a variety of laser hand pieces used for acne treatments; and no one specific system that works for everyone all of the time. Some lasers help by decreasing the bacteria that cause acne. Other lasers used for acne work by shrinking the oil glands that also play a role in causing acne. Some physicians will combine these two different lasers together as with the Nd:YAG laser that uses the 1064nm wavelength.It’s an Erbium laser (state-of-the-art) that resurfaces the skin and reduce scars in under an hour. The results are almost instant, and usually only 5-7 days of downtime are required post-treatment.